1. Up to three Australians are among the five people confirmed to have been killed in the White Island volcano eruption yesterday according to Scott Morrison, who said that of the 24 Australians visiting the volcano, 13 were in hospital and 11 remained unaccounted for.
2. ASIC yesterday released a new 96-page document with its updated guidance for responsible lending laws. "We hope that today’s guidance will assist industry to more confidently make responsible lending decisions and to facilitate good lending outcomes for consumers," ASIC commissioner Sean Hughes said.
3. Russia has been banned from major sporting events for four years by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), including the Tokyo 2020 Olympics and the 2022 FIFA World Cup in Qatar. "Russia was afforded every opportunity to get its house in order and re-join the global anti-doping community for the good of its athletes and of the integrity of sport, but it chose instead to continue in its stance of deception and denial," WADA president Sir Craig Reedie said.
4. Commonwealth Bank CEO Matt Comyn is among the business leaders calling for additional fiscal stimulus according to the AFR's annual Chanticleer CEO survey. Comyn told the AFR that the government could bring forward tax cuts and infrastructure spending.
5. Stocks moved lower for the start of the week on Wall Street. The Dow Jones moved 0.38% lower to 27,909.60, the S&P 500 slipped 0.32% to 3,135.96 and the Nasdaq dropped 0.40% to 8,621.83.
Click here to subscribe to the Switzer TV channel on YouTube and keep up to date with all of our shows.