1. JobKeeper and the JobSeeker coronavirus supplement will be extended for six more months in an announcement later today. Payments for both schemes are set to be reduced, with two tiers to be introduced for JobKeeper that will see payments more closely reflect pre-COVID-19 wages.
2. Premier Gladys Berejiklian has rejected calls to make masks mandatory in NSW since most cases in the state had occurred within hospitality venues. "What we have to do first and foremost is take the health advice, and what health and myself are most concerned about is what people are doing when they enter hospitality venues," Berejiklian told 2GB's Ben Fordham. There were 20 new cases in NSW overnight compared to 275 in Victoria.
3. A COVID-19 vaccine under development by the Oxford University and AstraZeneca has had promising results in its phase one trial involving more than 1,000 people. The vaccine was found to produce antibodies and T-cells to fight the virus without any serious side effects.
4. President Donald Trump has described wearing face masks as "patriotic" in a tweet that CNBC described as his "strongest endorsement yet for wearing face masks in public":
We are United in our effort to defeat the Invisible China Virus, and many people say that it is Patriotic to wear a face mask when you can’t socially distance. There is nobody more Patriotic than me, your favorite President! pic.twitter.com/iQOd1whktN— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 20, 2020
5. Overnight on Wall Street, the Dow Jones was relatively flat with a gain of 8.92 points or 0.03% to 26,680.87, while the S&P 500 closed 27.11 points or 0.84% higher to 3,251.84 and the Nasdaq surged 236.90 points or 2.51% higher to 10,767.09.
Click here to subscribe to the Switzer TV channel on YouTube and keep up to date with all of our shows.