With winter’s chill still biting, here are six never-fail sauces that everyone will adore – the perfect condiment for any meal.
Zesty salad vinaigrette
- 1 cup of olive oil
- ½ cup of balsamic vinegar
- ¼ cup of ordinary white vinegar
- 2 tbsp seed mustard
- 1 ½ tbsp castor sugar
- Place all ingredients in a jar and shake to mix.
- The vinaigrette will keep for weeks in the fridge.
Decadent chocolate sauce
Perfect for ice-cream, milkshakes, iced chocolates, warmed over chocolate cake … or, in my case as a child, eaten straight from the tub!
- 125g dark chocolate
- ¾ cup of cream
- 1 ½ tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp butter
- Place all the ingredients in saucepan bring to boil.
- Cook for two minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Pour into sterilised jars and keep in the fridge (it should last for a few weeks).
Heavenly caramel sauce
- ½ tin of condensed milk
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 60g butter
- 2 dessertspoons of golden syrup
- 8 tbsp hot water
- Place condensed milk, sugar, butter and golden syrup in a saucepan and simmer for 10 mins.
- Add the hot water and cook for a further 10 mins. It will thicken up!
- Perfect to pour over vanilla ice-cream.
- The sauce will keep well in the fridge for a few weeks.
This is a firm favourite – my kids eat it with everything. Try it with your salad, or even warm chicken, tuna, avocado and mayonnaise baguettes.
- 6 egg yolks
- 1½ tbsp seed mustard
- Pinch of salt
- Dash of pepper
- 1 to 1 ½ cups of sunflower oil
- 1½ tbsp white vinegar
- Process the egg yolks, mustard, salt and pepper in a food processor for five minutes. The egg mixture should double in size.
- With the motor still running, add the oil in a fine stream, adding ½ tbsp of vinegar for every ½ cup of oil.
- The end result will be a mayo with thick a creamy consistency.
- It will keep in the fridge till the expiry date of the eggs you have used in it.
Christmas may be months off yet, but this is perfect with Christmas plum pudding! As a child, we made triple in preparation for Christmas, as we would walk past the freezer and grab a spoonful each day. Enjoy a wintry, white, mid-year Christmas!
- 150g butter
- 2 cups of icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp brandy
- Cream the butter and icing sugar in a food processor until it is really creamy.
- Add the vanilla and Brandy and incorporate into the mixture well.
- Place in plastic container and store in the freezer.
- It will last for about 2 months in the freezer.
Try this hollandaise sauce drizzled over prawns or strips of chicken with a sesame seed coating.
- 3 egg yolks
- 6 tbsp softened butter
- Pinch of salt
- Dash of pepper
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- Place the egg yolks in a metal bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Don’t let the bowl touch the water.
- Whisk the yolks for two minutes.
- Add the butter and the honey, whisking all the time until the mixture thickens.
- Add the salt and pepper, vinegar and lemon juice and stir for a further two minutes.
- It tastes best when served immediately.
- It is possible to store in a plastic container in the fridge for a few days. Let it sit on the bench and bring to room temperature before using.